Today we measured…and cut…and stained…and glued….
And cut…and stained…and glued some more…
Until we ended up here…
Still a ways to go.
This afternoon, my little helper and I cut out more floor boards for the sitting room. Then he stained them carefully.
We worked our way around the octagonal tower. Tomorrow we will be putting the decorative trim in (not cut yet).
I had forgotten how much time each little detail takes in a dollhouse…and how addictive it can become!
Today, we started in on the sitting room while we waited for supplies for the drawing room to arrive.
First, we added a wall in the corner behind the fireplace, and plugged the fireplace wires in to see how that would look.
Then my little helper plugged in the chandelier and held it in place to check the effect…he is a great fan of electricity. We seem to have one dead bulb…I’ll have to switch that out.
Then we started cutting out and staining pieces for the floor.
After dinner, I took advantage of some free time and got some more floor pieces done. Nothing is glued in yet since I haevn’t quite decided how far in the decorative trim will go.
Good night and be well.
We had to shift through a lot of old cans of stain, but we found a Rosewood one that will work perfectly for the wainscoting and trim. Ialso experimented with ceiling paints.
So now I ordered a lot more wainscoting pieces and trim pieces, as well as a chandelier and a few other missing parts. So we’ll wait until they show up to keep going.
So here we are, several years later, and my son, who is now 6 years old, suddenly says, “Mommy, can we work on the dollhouse together?”
And just like that, I have a little helper:
After pulling the dollhouse out and setting things up again, we started up on the drawing room that was half-finished before.
We reprinted the “paintings” to fit the frames correctly and glued them and the mirror together.
We also reprinted the hedgehog picture by Vincent Desjardins for the nursery, which had never fit the frame correctly,
Then we reprinted wallpaper and trim for the drawing room and we’re now deciding between using wood or using wall paper trim as wainscoting.
That’s all for today. Hope all of you are still doing fine. I know it’s been a long time since I blogged…having a little child around the house does that to you.
I decided to start building the floor boards for the two front sections of the house today (two sections instead of one so they can easily fit through doorways…)
Began with the paper plans I had made earlier…
Cut out one of the floors…
Transferred the position of the walls and doorways…
Cut out the walls so I could pass studs through them later, created a base for underneath, and started gluing the beams between the two layers (oh, and Cider showed up in this photo because he wanted to go for a walk…)
Ran out of wood for the beams so I couldn’t finish, but here’s what I have so far…
Haven’t started the right-hand floor yet because I’m a bit stymied when it comes to drawing the octagonal tower. But I’ll figure that out later.
Next, I decided I didn’t like the green on the siding…clashed too much with the colors inside the rooms. So I repainted it all with two coats of tan paint.
A bit duller, but I already like it better…
And it doesn’t make a mess with the rest of the house anymore…
Still not sure if I’d rather not just replace the siding between the rooms with polished wood, but that can wait for now..