Tags

, ,

So today I thought I’d get to work on the kitchen, which was looking rather bare.

In a box, I found a lot of brown tiles I had started to make back in 2008 to create a kitchen floor, but when I lined them up, they didn’t look very good because they were quite irregular.

Image

So I decided to trash them and start from scratch.

Image

Based on my inspiration kitchen in Beaulieu Estate, I had bought a green paint yesterday and whatever packs of terracotta-looking modeling clay were in the local store.

Beaulieu kitchen2

I started by painting the wall pieces green and cream. It didn’t really matter how perfect the line between them was, since it was going to be covered by a black trim, which I also painted (you can see more of them them laid across the top of the pantry walls in order to dry).

Image

I wanted to glue the black trim in, but to do that I needed to put the door frame trim in first. So I thought I’d put that in, but I needed to know how high the floor would be. So I thought I’d start on the floor, but I realized in order to do that, I needed to know exactly where the fireplace would be. So I glued in the studs for the right-hand wall instead. I would have done the left one, too, but I ran out of supplies halfway through. So the chimney still isn’t glued in…

Image

Since the hobby stores were closed already, I started experimenting with other ways to create the floor. I tried several patterns and ended up with this one, but I’m not so happy with it. So I may try again tomorrow.

Image

Here’s the kitchen so far…I laid a couple strips of trim against the back wall, just to see what the black would be like. I think I like the colors together… There will be plenty more black trim and shelves before I’m done with it.

Image

Still a long way to go in the kitchen…