Today, I finally got started.
I needed to repair the scullery floor, because some creature(s) had decided to eat the buckwheat flour I had used as grout. Some of the flour had also gotten on the tiles and had stuck to them.
First, I used a fine steel wool to scrub the tiles.
Then I swept on a new layer of buckwheat flour.
And then gave the whole thing several coats of clear acrylic matte coating, so no bugs would go looking for a meal there again…
Which gave a pretty natural-looking result:
The ‘linoleum’ for the butler’s pantry also needed to be repaired…some of the paint had peeled away onto the cardboard that had been resting on top of it. So I repainted those bits and gave the whole thing a couple coats of acrylic as well.
Then, I glued the walls in and glued the linoleum onto the butler’s pantry floor (weighted down with professional weights, naturally…)
Back in the scullery, I made a chair rail to finish off the one I had started on the right-hand wall and created a windowsill (the wall on the left isn’t glued in yet).
I was inspired by this dish drying rack…
…and decided to build one for the scullery.
I started building a draining board to put under the drying rack, but I was getting tired. It’s propped up with modeling clay packages for now.
So here’s the scullery so far…
Very cool! I am amazed! I just restored an old dollhouse of mine, but I am inspired to get into some more custom work now, thanks!
Thanks! Go for it….could be fun!
The tiles are amazing. Seriously. I love them. They are perfect!
Thanks! I made them out of two different colors of clay which I swirled together, shaped, and then baked.