Just a quick post tonight…started tearing up the floorboards that were off-kilter in the nursery.
Which tore up most of the black paint under them…so I repainted that part of the floor.
I think next time I’ll start by drawing the pattern on the sub-floor and then I’ll try being a lot more careful when measuring and cutting the wood slats as well as when I line them up and glue them in.
But for now…good night.
Oh no! Sounds like a painstaking job. Good luck 🙂
Yeeeaahhh…might take me a while…but hopefully it’ll be worth it.
I’m sure it will 🙂 The house looks amazing. How long has it taken you so far? It’s very inspiring – tempted to have a go myself!
Thanks! I’ve been working on it since late December…no idea how many hours I’ve put in, though…I count it as fun time and leave it at that,
elizabeth s said:
Hello Julliette! I have just read your profile and have been going through your past posts and I can’t believe what I am seeing! You have an amazing talent and I love how you are building this doll’s house from the inside out. Back in the 1980’s a book on building a miniature colonial dolls house using a very similar method was written by a lady named Doris Krusz. It was quite revolutionary at the time because she used a lot of foam board and mat board and bass wood to form her rooms which slipped into the shell of the house frame when they were finished. All the wiring was hidden between the studs of the hollow walls. Your house build reminds me of the process but is totally unique! How do you plan to access the interior after you get all the walls done, with hinges or will the sides lift off? I am also bewildered that you say that you are inexperienced about miniatures and yet here you are doing such a great job first time around!!!!! It is ALL Fantastic!
Thank you! Yes, I am also running the wiring between the walls…I have no idea how you would do it otherwise. Also, I am not good with big power tools, so the idea of cutting out large pieces of wood for the walls and floors was much too daunting to me. In a way, this also allows me to build the house small section by small section, which is a lot more manageable than the whole project all at once. It also means the finished product is very light and can be carried easily.
But really, I got the idea from the fact that houses in America are built like this anyway, with balloon frames, and although I am building the walls first and then attaching the framework to them, so it is backwards from the process in a real house, the whole thing seemed to make sense to me. Good to know someone else thought of it, too (or first!).
I’ve debated for a long time about the access to the rooms. I originally wanted different wall pieces to swing outward to reveal the rooms inside, but then I realized that with the extra room needed to open the house on three different sides, I would need more space to display the dollhouse when I get done with it, and it’s already going to be quite big as it is. So I think I’m just going to have two of the sides (the east and west sides) permanently open and have the north and south sides closed up to show the outside architecture. The way the house plan works, this means that the only room that won’t be seen directly is the front entrance hallway and stairs. My idea was that with front doors that have enough window panes in them, the room would still be able to be seen.
Thanks for taking the time to peruse my project and for the encouragement! I’m having so much fun doing this!